Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Can you call a General Authority a Rockstar?


I loved General Conference! I felt like it was specifically for me. I downloaded the mp3 files and listen to it while I am in the car, at times I sit in the car once I have arrived at work, just trying to get a little more. One of my favorite talks was by President Uchtdorf titled "Continue with Patience". You need to read it, I think I could read or listen to it everyday and still learn more!


I loved these quotes:

"Patience is not passive resignation, nor is it failing to act because of our fears. Patience means active waiting and enduring. It means staying with something and doing all that we can - working, hoping, and exercising faith; bearing hardship with fortitude, even when the desires of our heart are delayed. Patience is not simply enduring; it is enduring well!"


"But eventually I learned that God's promises are not always fulfilled as quickly as or in the way we might hope; they come according to His timing and His ways."


"Brigham Young taught that when something came up which he could not comprehend fully, he would pray to the Lord, "Give me patience to wait until I can understand it for myself." And then Brigham would continue to pray until he could comprehend it."


"Often the deep valleys of our present will be understood only by looking back on them from the mountains of our future experience. Often we can't see the Lord's hand in our lives until long after trials have passed. Often the most difficult times of our lives are essential building blocks that form the foundation of our character and pave the way to future opportunity, understanding, and happiness."


"Patience means accepting that which cannot be changed and facing it with courage, grace, and faith. It means being "willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon us, even as a child doth submit to his fathers."


"The work of patience boils down to this: keep the commandments; trust in God, our Heavenly Father; serve Him with meekness and Christlike love; exercise faith and hope in the Savior; and never give up."

5 comments:

Lisachem said...

Conference was really good. I loved Pres. Uctdorf's analogy of how we need to be the Savior's hands. Perfect!

Tara said...

Jon keeps telling me that I really need to read this talk. I'm not sure if it's because of how much he loved it or if it's because he knows just how much I need to work on patience.

Several of our speakers on Sunday quoted from it, too. I still haven't read the whole thing but I do really love the snippets you posted.

Patience is without question one of my greatest weaknesses.

Leslie said...

Patience is HARD! I've often said, "If only I had a timeline to refer to, I know I could get through this." It's the uncertainty of never knowing if or when our trials will come to an end that really wears on a person.

Katy said...

He's amazing!

Jackie said...

I like him a lot. It's the cool glasses, i think.

Now, you owe me a comment.